Friday, April 16, 2010

New Tool - Part 2 - The Tax Return

At the end of last year I was kind of hoping that our tax return would be enough to let me buy a new big ticket tool for my workshop (I define "big ticket" as over $200.00).  I knew I wanted to that tool to be a bandsaw, the question was really WHICH bandsaw to get.

I googled, I did searches on You Tube, I visited manufacturers websites, I posted questions in woodworking forums.  I created a comparison chart of 15 different band saws from 10 different manufacturers, comparing resaw capacity, table size, horsepower, price, etc...

Imagine my surprise when after all my research I ended up concluding that the Sears Craftsman 14" bandsaw (for me) was going to be the best bang for the buck.

The bandsaw, in the box, weighs in at 223lbs.  Its a good 30 feet, uphill, over soft ground, from where I can park my truck to the front door of my shop... ugh.  I did finally get it in the shop, get it up on a table (which was really the hardest part), and then spent about 4 hours over 3 nights putting it together.




































And because my lovely wife lets me do this crazy woodworking thing that I love so much, I just had to make something for her:


1 comment:

Torch02 said...

Congrats on the purchase! I found that "hanging" the motor was the most difficult part of putting my bandsaw together - took several attempts.

I have to commend you on the hearts. I knew that when I got the bandsaw setup I wanted to cut some curves, but I didn't have much direction beyond that - so I ended up just making one big, square piece of scrap into several smaller, curved pieces of scrap.